Friday, June 21, 2013

A New Title

As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I have been taking a rookie class at the Volunteer Fire Station down the street from my house. My dad was a volunteer for the same station for about 22 years. He ended his career there in 2007 or 2008. Needless to say, I'm not necessarily new to the station. Many of the people I grew up around are still volunteering.

Last Saturday was our first skills training day, a day where we take the trucks out to the local high school and practice what we've learned. The temperature when we first arrived at about 8:00am was already reaching into the high 80's with 87% humidity and it was cloudy. As the day went on those clouds drifted away and the sun was shining bright by high noon. It only got hotter. For those of you who have never tried on bunker gear, it is heavy and it is hot. When you are in full PPE, you are unable to feel even the slightest bit of a breeze. It can get very uncomfortable very fast. First, we created a makeshift roof using 3 beams and plywood, setting it up at an angle to practice using the roof ladder while we practice vertical ventilation. Vertical ventilation allows us to let the heat rise out of the house through the roof, essentially cooling the inside a bit while it is still on fire. There's definitely a noticeable difference in temperature inside of the structure once this is done correctly. Anyway, we practiced climbing on the roof ladder to cut a ventilation hole using a chainsaw and later on chopping into the roof with an ax. This was my first time actually participating in training as an actual rookie. The instructors around me were the people I grew up around. Many of them were shocked at my ability to get the job done as quickly as I did. They helped me out with pointers and suggestions as they did with all of the other trainees and cheered me on. Every once in a while someone would say to me "Don't let those boys beat you! Show them how it's done!" and I did. I showed those guys how to put a halligan through a roof and cut that damn vent! It was fun.

When the day was over I continuously received uplifting and congratulatory comments on my work through the heat and humidity of the day. During the following class on Tuesday, we went through our powerpoint going over the types of buildings and the building materials we will run into. At the end of class Captain Johnson, our instructor, reminded us that there would be someone in the class who would be chosen to become the Class Captain. Another Captain brought up 2 red helmets which signify Captain and Lieutenant statuses. Captain Johnson first called the person who received the title of Captain saying that he was very impressed with his effort throughout skills day and his encouragement of everyone else. The newly named Class Captain turned in his black helmet for the red one, leaving the second red helmet unclaimed. After a few words he called my name, giving me the title of Class Lieutenant. Growing up in the fire station, my dad was a captain for a while. I did not expect this in the slightest so soon. To be given this title so soon is not only really exciting, but it's a huge honor and I'm not going to make him regret choosing me as Class Lieutenant. 
It's more than just a red helmet... It's a world of responsibilities. Promoted to Class Lieutenant tonight. Couldn't be more honored or proud to be doing what I'm doing. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment